The Sustainable Canning Workshop
With the homesteading movement on the rise, and the clear need to consume clean food from a reliable source, it has become essential for many to learn how to preserve foods quickly. Canning is a popular place to start for many individuals because these items can be stored long-term outside of the refrigerator.
The Sustainable Canning Workshop is taught by Ann, the face behind A Farm Girl in the Making and the author of The Farm Girl’s Guide to Preserving the Harvest. Ann’s goal is to not only teach people how to preserve foods, but to teach individuals how to be intentional when selecting the type of foods they wish to store long-term.
Those who are new to food preservation, especially canning, have a tendency to jump in head first. Here at Acorn Creek, we value enthusiasm while urging you to fully understand the science behind food preservation before you get started. It is never too late to learn the basics, nor does one ever get to a point of knowing everything there is to know about a topic, making this all in one workshop ideal for homesteaders of all levels of experience.
It’s time to put aside your fears and gain the confidence needed to preserve foods as your great-grandma once did. This all in one canning workshop will cover everything listed below and much more:
- Gain the confidence to work canning tools such as a hot water bath and steam canner, steam juicer, and pressure canner.
- Learn how to modify recipes according to your dietary needs.
- Understand Botulism and how it applies to home canning.
- Gain the skills needed to work with both high and low acidic foods.
- Learn tips for canning bone broth, meat, game and fish.
- Get comfortable with canning soups and stews in order to stock your larder with healthy, ready to consume meals.
- Properly can tomato products.
- Learn how to navigate and comprehend the National Center for Home Food Preservation’s website.
- Gain knowledge about best practices for storing your home-canned goods.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty! We will be hot water bath canning a seasonal item and pressure canning a hearty vegetable soup for you to take home.
Book your Workshop
The Sustainable Canning Workshop is an extensive class which covers both canning workshops that Acorn Creek offers. You can learn more about these workshops and the curriculum for each here:
For those who do not wish to attend separate canning workshops, this all in one canning workshop is the one for you. In addition to the convenience of attending one hands-on workshop, you will also receive:
When sold separately, the total cost of each hands-on workshop, the online canning course, and the Pantry Organization Workbook is worth $292.00. However, by reserving your spot in the All in One Canning Workshop you receive everything mentioned here for $200. That’s a saving of over 30%!
Available hands-on workshop dates for 2022:
We are happy to share that Acorn Creek Farmstead will be offering two All in One Canning workshops during the 2022 preserving season!
Space is limited for this hands-on workshop. Reserving your spot now ensures that you are on the path to achieving food freedom.
2023 WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
If you missed the opportunity to join the canning workshops held this year, that’s okay! Make sure to stay up to date for future hands-on workshops by joining our newsletter community.