The Sustainable Canning Workshop
With the homesteading movement on the rise and the need to consume a clean food source, it has become essential for many to learn how to preserve foods quickly. Canning, because it can store long-term outside of refrigeration, is a popular place to start for many.
The workshop is taught by Ann of A Farm Girl in the Making, author of The Farm Girl’s Guide to Preserving the Harvest. Ann’s focus is to teach people how to preserve foods and be intentional about the foods they are putting up.
Those new to food preservation, especially canning, jump in head first. Here at Acorn Creek, we value enthusiasm while urging you to understand the science behind food preservation before you start fully. It is never too late to learn the basics, nor does one ever get to the point of knowing everything there is to know about a topic, making this all-in-one workshop ideal for homesteaders of all levels of experience.
The Sustainable Canning Workshop is an extensive class covering both canning workshops Acorn Creek offers.
- Gain the confidence to work with canning tools such as a hot water bath, steam canner, steam juicer, and pressure canner.
- Learn how to modify recipes according to your dietary needs.
- Understand Botulism and how it applies to home canning.
- Gain the skills needed to work with both high and low-acidic foods.
- Learn tips for canning bone broth, meat, game, and fish.
- Get comfortable with canning soups and stews to stock your larder with healthy, ready-to-consume meals.
- Properly can tomato products.
- Learn how to navigate and comprehend the National Center for Home Food Preservation website.
- In addition, gain knowledge about best practices for storing your home-canned goods.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty! We will be hot water bath canning a seasonal item and pressure canning a hearty vegetable soup for you to take home.
Book your Workshop
The All in One Canning class is ideal for those who do not wish to attend separate canning workshops on the farm. In addition to the convenience of attending this hands-on workshop, you will also receive the following:
Space is limited for this hands-on workshop. Reserving your spot now ensures you are on the path to achieving food freedom.