It’s that time of the year again! You have landed on this page for one of the following reasons: you are ready to freshen your existing flock, or you are looking to get started raising poultry for the first time. Regardless of the reason, you have come to the right place! In partnership with McMurray Hatchery, we are excited to bring you the very first Chick Days here at Acorn Creek Farmstead!
2023 Chick Days on the Farm
Friends…we are going old school and I couldn’t be more excited!
Back in the day, people visited farms to pick up their poultry orders. In fact, McMurray Hatchery, a 106-year-old family business, used to drive their chicks to farms for events such as this.
By placing a poultry order through McMurray Hatchery for pickup at our Chick Days event, you eliminate order minimums, and will not be charged for shipping! That’s right friends, you can order as many or as little poultry as you wish at no extra charge!
This is a great opportunity for you to place your 2023 chick order. Add some new colorful layers to your flock, increase your egg production, or try your hand at raising some broilers this year!
Keep in mind, this opportunity will only happen once a year. Of course, you may place additional orders with McMurray Hatchery throughout the year, but any order placed outside of this event will be subject to McMurray’s minimum order and shipping costs, and on-farm pickup will be unavailable as well.
How to Place your Chicken Order
The team at McMurray Hatchery has made the process quite simple!
- To ensure that your order reaches our farm in time, all orders be placed by midnight on March 1st, 2023
- Visit McMurrayHatchery.com to place your order
- Use the following code at checkout: acorncreek2023
- If you need assistance placing your order or finding birds for this specific date contact McMurray Hatchery at 800-456-3280, Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm Central
Please note, the code provided above can be used multiple times from now through March 1, 2023.
Other Poultry Orders
Are you looking to add other types of fowl to your flock this year in addition to chicks? Acorn Creek and McMurray Hatchery are thrilled to offer you the chance to other types of select poultry with lower than normal minimums AND local pick-up here in Tennessee. See below for details on this exciting opportunity:
- Click here to pre-order turkey poults and guinea keets through Acorn Creek Farmstead.
- All fowl orders must be picked up at Acorn Creek in Waynesboro, TN, on Thursday, June 1, 2023. Customers with pre-paid orders will be contacted with pick-up information and directions. Sorry, at this time other dates are not available.
- Turkey poult varieties available include: Murray’s Broad-Breasted Bronze, Murray’s Broad-Breasted Giant White, Murray’s Artisan Black, and Murray’s Midget White turkeys. We recommend a minimum of 3 turkeys per purchase.
- Pearl Guinea keets are also available through this offer. We recommend 5 guineas per purchase.
Looking for ducks, geese, or other fowl? Please add your name to our waiting list for alerts as we add more options.
Water fowl waiting Lists:
Turkey poults and Pearl Guinea keets are sold as unsexed, straight run only. Payment must be received in advance to ensure order confirmation. Orders must be placed no later than April 24, 2023, to be eligible for this event. Sorry, we cannot add other breeds or types of poultry or fowl not listed in this promotion. All sales are final, with no refunds.
Picking up Your Order
Mark your calendar! Your chick order will be ready for pick-up on Friday, March 24, 2023, between 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. Justin and I (along with the McMurray and volunteer team) ask that you please be respectful of the time slot for this event, as we have families and farms to care for.
If you cannot pick up your order and intend to send someone to grab it for you, that is perfectly okay! We will simply need you to:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line – Chick Days Pick-up Order
- Content – include the name, email, and phone number of the person picking up your order
Please note: if you cannot pick up your order on the date and time mentioned above, a holding fee of $25 will be issued for each day your order remains on the farm. The total holding fee must be paid prior to receiving your order.
Location and Parking
The address for our farm can be found below, and we will have parking available for you in the north pasture. Please look for Chick Days team members in yellow vests. They will help direct you towards available parking spaces.
Acorn Creek is, and shall always be, a learning farm. For this very reason, we have scheduled a few activities for you throughout the day:
- 10:30-11:30 am: Hands-on poultry processing workshop, reserve your spot now
- 12:30-1:30 pm: Tips for raising broiler birds
- 2:00-3:00 pm: Guided infrastructure tour with Ann, owner of Acorn Creek Farmstead and the face behind the brand A Farm Girl in the Making
Poultry Processing Workshop
Acorn Creek Farmstead will be offering a hands-on poultry processing workshop during our 2023 Chick Days event. Your processing instructors will be Tom Watkins of McMurray Hatchery and Ann Accetta-Scott of A Farm Girl in the Making.
The workshop fee is $50, and all participants will be able to take home the bird they process. Space is limited, so make sure to book your spot as soon as possible. There is a check out option at the bottom of this page for those interested in purchasing a spot for this educational opportunity.
During your visit to the farm, we ask that you:
- Do not cross any fencing, and stay on the beaten path at all times
- Do not attempt to pet or feed the livestock
- Do not enter any structures or outbuildings
- Do not leave your children unattended (an adult must accompany children at all times)
Acorn Creek Farmstead and the McMurray Hatchery team are extremely excited to offer this opportunity to our customers, friends, and community. Thank you for your support, and we’ll see you in March 2023!