UPDATED: FEBRUARY 26, 2023
The incredible response we received for our very first Chick Days on the Farm event has been such a blessing! Here is updated information for this great day!
Due to the incredible demand, the chicks reserved for online line orders have sold out! However, we will have chicks available on the day of the event; see below.
AVAILABLE CHICKS AND DUCKLINGS
As mentioned above, we will have chicks and ducklings available for purchase at the farm for our annual Chick Days event! Here is some information you will need to know prior to purchasing your poultry:
- Poultry is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. The event starts at 10 am, but we suggest that individuals arrive early as we expect the poultry to sell quickly.
- Cash only.
- We cannot reserve/hold any poultry
Select from a list of great brown and white layers. Please note, the chicks are sexed. The chicks are priced to sell at $4 a chick.
- Buff Orpington
- New Hampshire
- Pearl White Leghorn
- Red Star
- Brown Leghorn
- Speckled Sussex
Ducks are excellent layers, cold weather hardy, and lay a rich egg that is ideal for baking and cooking. Please note, the ducklings are sexed unless otherwise noted. The ducklings are priced to sell at $12 a duckling.
- Gold Star Hybrid
- Welsh Harlequin
- Khaki Campbell
- Runner Ducks – unsexed
- Khaki Campbell – drakes
Poultry Processing Hands-on Workshops
We are excited to offer a hands-on poultry processing workshop during the Chick Days event. Unfortunately, as of this update (February 26), only 5 spots remain! Tom, president and owner of McMurray Hatchery, and Ann of Acorn Creek Farmstead will be the instructors of this hands-on workshop. Make sure to reserve your spot before it’s too late!
Our First Chick Days on the Farm Event!
It’s that time of the year again! You have landed on this page for one of the following reasons: you are ready to freshen your existing flock or to start raising poultry for the first time. Regardless of the reason, you have come to the right place! In partnership with McMurray Hatchery, we are excited to bring you the first Chick Days at Acorn Creek Farmstead!
2023 Chick Days on the Farm
Friends…we are going old school and I couldn’t be more excited!
Back in the day, people visited farms to pick up their poultry orders. In fact, McMurray Hatchery, a 106-year-old family business, used to drive their chicks to farms for events such as this.
By getting your chicks through our Chick Days event, you eliminate order minimums, with no small order or shipping charges! That’s right friends, you can buy as many or as little poultry as you wish at no extra charge!
This is a great opportunity for you to place your 2023 chick order. Add some new colorful layers to your flock, increase your egg production, or try your hand at raising some broilers this year!
Keep in mind, this opportunity will only happen once a year. Of course, you may place additional orders with McMurray Hatchery throughout the year, but any order placed outside of this event will be subject to McMurray’s minimum order and shipping costs, and on-farm pickup will be unavailable as well.
Jump straight to the information you are looking for:
- How to Place Your Chicken Order
- Location and Parking
- Scheduled Workshops
- During your visit to the farm, we ask that you…
How to Place Your Chicken Order
The team at McMurray Hatchery has made the process quite simple!
- To ensure that your order reaches our farm in time, all orders be placed by midnight on March 1st, 2023
- Visit McMurrayHatchery.com to place your order
- For orders of 6+ chicks, place your order on the McMurray Hatchery website
- Use the code AcornCreek2023 in the shopping cart page, this will tag your order for the Acorn Creek event and allow you to bypass the minimum order. Please note your chicks will NOT ship US Mail and can only be picked up at Acorn Creek on the day of the event
- For those wanting to purchase FEWER THAN 6 CHICKS, the McMurray Hatcher team will have chicks to purchase available AT THE EVENT. We recommend a minimum of 4 when raising baby chicks. Chicks for purchase at the event will be first come first serve, and cash only.
- If you need assistance placing your order or finding birds for this specific date contact McMurray Hatchery at 800-456-3280, Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm Central
Please note, the code provided above can be used multiple times from now through March 1, 2023.
Picking up Your Order
Mark your calendar! Your chick order will be ready for pick-up on Friday, March 24, 2023, between 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. Justin and I (along with the McMurray and volunteer team) ask that you please be respectful of the time slot for this event, as we have families and farms to care for.
If you cannot pick up your order and intend to send someone to grab it for you, that is perfectly okay! We will simply need you to:
- Email us at email@example.com
- Subject line – Chick Days Pick-up Order
- Content – include the name, email, and phone number of the person picking up your order
Please note: if you cannot pick up your order on the date and time mentioned above, a holding fee of $25 will be issued for each day your order remains on the farm. The total holding fee must be paid prior to receiving your order.
Location and Parking
The address for our farm can be found below, and we will have parking available for you in the north pasture. Please look for Chick Days team members in yellow vests. They will help direct you towards available parking spaces.
Acorn Creek is, and shall always be, a learning farm. For this very reason, we have scheduled a few activities for you throughout the day:
- 10:30-11:30 am: Hands-on poultry processing workshop, reserve your spot now
- 12:30-1:30 pm: Tips for raising broiler birds
- 2:00-3:00 pm: Guided infrastructure tour with Ann, owner of Acorn Creek Farmstead and the face behind the brand A Farm Girl in the Making
Poultry Processing Workshop
Acorn Creek Farmstead will be offering a hands-on poultry processing workshop during our 2023 Chick Days event. Your processing instructors will be Tom Watkins of McMurray Hatchery and Ann Accetta-Scott of A Farm Girl in the Making.
The workshop fee is $50, and all participants will be able to take home the bird they process. Space is limited, so make sure to book your spot as soon as possible. There is a check-out option at the bottom of this page for those interested in purchasing a spot for this educational opportunity.
During your visit to the farm, we ask that you:
- Do not cross any fencing, and stay on the beaten path at all times
- Do not attempt to pet or feed the livestock
- Do not enter any structures or outbuildings
- Do not leave your children unattended (an adult must accompany children at all times)
Acorn Creek Farmstead and the McMurray Hatchery team are extremely excited to offer this opportunity to our customers, friends, and community. Thank you for your support, and we’ll see you in March 2023!