Standard Rex Rabbits – Available 2023
Rabbits are an excellent source of protein to raise on any homestead, regardless of the size of the property. Luckily, in many counties, rabbits are not considered livestock and are not regulated, which makes it ideal for them to be raised as a sustainable meat source.
Acorn Creek Farmstead is pleased to share that our registered Standard Rex rabbits will be available for purchase at the beginning of 2023. Our rabbit herd consists of the following colors:
- Black Otter
Here are a few reasons as to why you should incorporate rabbits onto your homestead:
- Inexpensive to raise, costing roughly $0.32 per pound; making the total cost roughly $2.50 by the time the rabbit is butchered.
- A single doe is capable of producing roughly 600 pounds of meat a year.
- Depending on the breed, rabbits are butchered between 4 to 6 months of age.
- There are many methods for housing rabbits; choose a method which fits best for your rabbitry.
- Use the manure and urine as a free fertilizer for your gardens.
For those who are new to raise rabbits for meat, Acorn Creek Farmstead is offering a Rabbit Butchering Workshop. This workshop will provide you with the knowledge and confidence needed to raise rabbits for meat, from start to finish. Topics of discussion will include:
- Feed Options
- Butchering Age
- How to Dispatch a Rabbit
- How to Prepare Rabbit
Standard Rex Rabbits
Standard Rex rabbits are a very docile and a friendly breed. An adult rabbit will weigh roughly 7 to 11 pounds, and will weigh around 4.5 pounds once processed. Rex does make great mothers and will birth between 6 to 8 kits with each pregnancy.
Rex rabbits are prized for:
- High yield meat production
- Fat turn around time to processing day (between 8 to 12 weeks)
- Their velvety hide once tanned
- Manure and urine can be used as a fertilizer
- Ideal for those in 4H or those who wish to show rabbits
Make sure to stay up to date on the availability of our registered Standard Rex rabbits by joining our email list below.